Dr. Shawket Alkhayal
Dr Alkhayal is a consultant urologist with more than 20 years of experience. He graduated from Baghdad University College of Medicine 1991 and moved to The United Kingdom after his internship where he had further training , experience and higher qualifications. Obtained Masters Degree in Urology from UCL in 2004 and fellowship of the Royal college of Surgeons in Urology in 2008. He was a lecturer at Sussex University medical school, UK. Honorary Consultant at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals and head of Urology Department at Benenden Hospital in Kent. Moved to Dubai in 2013 as a consultant Urologist and head of department at the American Hospital Dubai. Established Novomed Men’s Health Clinic for Urology and Andrology at Dubai Healthcare City 2014.
- MB,Ch.B – Baghdad University College of Medicine 1991
- UK PLAB,- General Medical Council UK 1998
- MRCS – Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 2001
- MSc Urology – University College London 2004
- FRCS(Urol) – Fellowship of the Royal college of Surgeons in Urology 2008
- CCT UK Board certified in Urology 2009
Current Hospital Affiliations
- The American Hospital Dubai
- The Mediclinic City Hospital Dubai
- Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton UK
- Benenden Hospital, Kent UK
- European association of Urology
- European Society of sexual medicine
- International continence Society
Licenses and Permits
- CCT UK Board certified in Urology 2009
- Clinical Features and management of MRSA Cystitis. Alkhayal S, Rizvi F, Urol J. 2012 Summer;9(3):617-9
- A novel method to overcome difficult male catheterisation, published in the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Volume 90, Number 4, May 2008 , pp. 343-347(5)
- A simple non-invasive test to detect vascular disease in patients with erectile dysfunction. A novel method. Alkhayal S, Lehmann V. and Thomas P J. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2006 Mar; 3(2):331-6.
- A single centre experience of a non-invasive combination treatment for patients with Peyronie's disease.*S. Alkhayal, J Seth, G John and M Fletcher, published online in the posters section of the 12th Congress of the European Society for Sexual Medicine (held in Lyon 15-18 November 2009) PO-12, 044
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy improves sexual performance and satisfaction in patients with Peyronie's disease. Alkhayal S., John G, Fletcher M and Lehmann V. Published in the JSM book of abstracts PP-05,263.
- Sample analysis of patients in whom PDE5-Inhibitors failed or was contraindicated. Alkhayal S, Lehmann V. and Thomas P J. Published in the JSM book of abstracts PP-01,159.
- Subjective outcome measures in patients treated with ESWT for Peyronie's disease, Published in the Book of Abstracts JSM Jan 2006 (1st Author)
- The importance of addressing partner's response to male sexual Dysfunction. Published in the Book of Abstracts JSM Jan 2006(2nd Author)
- Did PDE5Is revolutionise patient awareness and treatment of Erectile Dysfunction. Published in the Book of Abstracts JSM Jan 2006(1st Author)
- Contemporary CT imaging in the management of invasive Bladder Cancer. Khan SAA, Alkhayal S., Richenberg JL, Thomas PJ, Larner TRG. MP38.
Abstract published in the Journal of Endourology. 2005, 19(supplement 1): doi:10.1089/end.2005.19.p1
- Photoselective Vaporisation of the prostate (PVP): a novel modality for the surgical management of BPH, Abstract published in the book of abstracts BJUI June 2005
Presentations (National and International)
- Men's Health Exhibition and Conference, 15-16 Oct 2016, Dubai (Presenter)
- East and West Cutting edge fertility Sciences Conference 27-28 Jan 2017, Dubai UAE (presenter) Dubai Urology Journal Meeting, 5 June 2015. Recent advances in management of Male Erectile Dysfunction (presenter)
- Audit of TURPis (Bipolar Transurethral Resection/vaporisation of Prostate in Saline) audit of outcome and complications, at Benenden Hospital. Nov 2012
- Audit of outcomes of intravesical bladder instillations of Cystistat for bladder pain Syndrome, at Benenden Hospital. Nov 2012
- Presentation at Benenden Hospital (Urological Presentation of Non Urological Disease) 2 case presentations on the 25th May 2012 Teaching session.
- Presentation at Benenden Hospital for Theatre Transformation and Optimisation Project 13th Jan. 2012
- Update on Erectile Dysfunction, presentation at the Learning and development centre on 14th Oct 2011.
- I have presented on several occasions at the prostate cancer support Group meetings which were held in Brighton in the last 2 years, and which is dedicated to the welfare of prostate cancer patients.
- A single centre experience of a non-invasive combination treatment for patients with Peyronie's disease. Poster presented at the ESSM conference in Lyon/ France Nov. 2009.
- PVP update. 3 years data on Photo selective Vaporization of the Prostate, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals. Presented at the South Thames Urology meeting, April 2007 in Brighton and as an oral podium presentation at the SIU congress in Paris Sep. 2007.
- Sample analysis of patients in whom PDE5-Inhibitors failed or was contraindicated. Alkhayal S, Lehmann V. and Thomas P J. Poster Presentation at the ESSM conference in Vienna 3-6 Dec. 2006.
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy improves sexual Performance and satisfaction in patients with Peyronie's disease. Alkhayal S., John G, Fletcher M and Lehmann V. Moderated poster presentation at the BAUS section of Andrology meeting 9-10 Nov. 2006 and as Poster Presentation at the ESSM conference in Vienna 3-6 Dec. 2006.
- Upper tract imaging in patients presenting with haematuria - the role of ultrasound. A retrospective case-note study of patients identified from operative and pathological records diagnosed with upper urinary tract TCC. Richenberg J., Alkhayal S and Thomas PJ. Poster presentation at the European Society of Uro-radiologists, Cairo, Sept. 2006.
- Subjective outcome measures in patients treated with ESWT for Peyronie's disease, Audit presented at the south Thames Urology meeting, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, June 2005. (Presented as a poster at The ESSM in Copenhagen, Dec. 2005.
- The role of partners in the management of men with erectile dysfunction (presented as a poster at The ESSM in Copenhagen, Dec. 2005.
- Impaired Reactive Hyperaemic Response in patients with erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease. Presented at the Urological research society meeting Jan 05 and at the European Federation of Sexology Conference May 2004 (prize). Also presented at the South Thames Urology meeting, Eastbourne 2004.
- Contemporary CT in the management of invasive Bladder Cancer. Poster Presented at the 23rd World Congress on Endourology and SWL, 21st Basic Research Symposium; August 23–26, 2005; Amsterdam, (2nd Author)
- Did PDE5Is revolutionise patient awareness of Erectile Dysfunction (presented as a poster at The ESSM in Copenhagen, Dec. 2005).
- Alpha Blockers, an Urologists view. Presentation at the RSCH Ophthalmology symposium; about the relation of alpha blockers to Intra-operative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS). 19th May 2007.
- The value of leak point pressures in Urodynamics. Presented at the Institute of Urology And Nephrology, London, to MSc Students. Jan 2004.
- Hypogonadism / Case presentation and discussion, RSCH, Brighton April 2003.
- The management of PUJ obstruction in Adults. Presented at the weekly educational meeting, RSCH, Brighton 25th May 2003.